If you guys had followed my previous blog than you will know I had a series of blog posts under the series title of On Writing. This here is a continuation of that.
I’m sure you all have heard that in order to progress as a writer you must read. You might think that it isn’t as nessecary as everyone makes it out to be, but I can assure you that it one of the best things you can do to improve your craft.
Why reading is such an important part of being a writer goes much further than you might think.
Here are some key point to keep in mind of why it is so important.
- You are exposed to many different genres
- You are exposed to many different styles of writing
- Say you wanted to write a book but didn’t know exactly how, you can get ideas from the way other authors have written similar topics
- Reading can inspire you
- Reading can widen your vocabulary
- You can find popular tropes within your niche
Those are just six examples of why reading is important to us writers, but the list goes on and on. There are so many benefits to it.
Speaking from experience I feel like reading has genuinely helped me better my writing skills. If you follow me on here quite regularly then you know I read a lot of different books. I think that’s another key factor. If you read “easy” books, or those within your comfort zone, it is harder for you to grow.
I hope that some of you found that this post helped you in some way. If it has let me know! I love connecting with fellow writers.